Roman finds in the area of Dilsberg, and a Roman settlement in the area of neighbouring Wiesenbach, give reason to believe that the land Dilsberg is now on was already used for settlement by the Roman occupation troops. More detailed knowledge of Dilsberg, however, does not appear until it was assessed for building castles in the early Middle Ages, where its conical shape and extensive view over the Neckar Valley and towards Kraichgau made it an obvious choice.
Construction of the castle, following on after the neighbouring Wiesenbacher castle, once the importance of the Neckar as a traffic route had been recognised.The diocese of Worms as legal successor to the monastery Lorch subordinated the Elsenzgau and also the Dilsberg to temporal governors from the aristocracy. Thus Dilsberg was under the control of the Lord of Lauffen.
First documented mention of „Dillighesberch“ as residence of Count Boppo V. von Lauffen. A short time later through their line of succession Dilsberg became counts seat of the Same but „Dürn“ (Walldürn).
Rudolf von Habsburg buys the mountain fortress from the impoverished Count Boppo II. Von Dürn, Count of Dilsberg.
Dilsberg finally becomes the property of the Elector Palatinate after many years efforts by the increasingly powerful Elector.
Dilsberg is elevated to the status of a town after the residents of Weiler Rainbach (on the Neckar) and Reitenberg (today to the west of the Dilsbergerhof) were forced to give up their homes. Equipped with tax privileges, they relocate on to the Dilsberg which was given a town wall and extended the fortified castle by their houses which they had to open up for the Heidelberg Court if necessary as a place to live while in hiding or when hunting.
in the 14th century
Dilsberg receives a civil administration (official wine century cellars) and a sub-office of the Elector Palatinate as an administrative authority for the surrounding villages (1401 until 1803). Due to its importance for the Administration of the Elector Palatinate in the region of the Lower Neckar and in the Kraichgau, the castle of Dilsberg is extended by Commercial buildings.
in the 17th century
Castle Dilsberg is among the most embattled forticentury fications during the 30-Year War. The Bavarian General Tilly occupies the castle in 1622 after Dilsberg had opened its doors after Heidelberg had been taken over by the Imperial troops and was forced to capitulate. The Swedes won back the castle in 1633, the Imperialists took Dilsberg again in 1653. Despite these fierce entanglements the Dilsberg castle settlement remained largely undamaged just as it did in the war of the Orleans Succession (1690) when the destroyer of the Palatinate, the French General Mélac housed within the town walls of Dilsberg with troops.
Dilsberg becomes a garrison of the Elector Palatinate in which only pensioned soldiers carry out light guard duties. The commanders house becomes the seat of the commander of the fortification as commanderin-chief of the castle and military administration.
installation of a detention room for the students in Heidelberg.
with the end of the Elector Palatinate, the mountain fortification falls to the newly founded Land of Baden and subsequently serves as a state prison.
The castle which had remained undamaged thus far was released for demolition. With its loss of military importance and the sub-office (1804) Dilsberg becomes increasingly impoverished in the 19th century.
as of 1900
Development of the earlier mountain fortress via a rural community to become a modern residential community and tourist attraction.
1 January 1973
Dilsberg is incorporated into Neckargemünd as a part of the town.